Contact OCC-PTA Reflections Chair Michelle Deziel Hernandez
PTA Reflections is a nationally acclaimed student recognition program to encourage artistic creativity in the classroom and at home. Students of all grades and abilities may participate and explore the arts based on the 2017-2018 theme: Within Reach
Projects are DUE TO OCC-PTA at the Wednesday, November 1, 2017 OCCPTA meeting at the District Office on Handy. You decide when your projects are due to you (you need time to get the projects judged, displayed and have your reception). As an example, the due dates at El Modena and Linda Vista are Oct. 12.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Start by putting an announcement in your student bulletin, on your school website and on student video/audio announcements.
- Print out the promotional poster, found on the capta.org website under Resources - Reflections, and post them around your school.
- Poster placement - Target areas where parents might see the posters - Valet area, common pick up and drop off areas, where parents hang out before and after school. Additional tip is to hang a plastic sheet protector right next to the poster. Put some entry packets in the sheet protector for parents and students to take with them.
- Ask the specific art teachers to promote the program. You can ask them to hang a poster in their classroom and give them a supply of their specific art rules & entry forms.
- Request to speak at a staff meeting or in class rooms and ask teachers to promote the Reflections program.
- Have a Reflections Kick-Off at a school assembly.
- Provide students with a Reflections workshop, either during lunch or after school. Provide paper, crayons, colored pencils, writing paper. Ask them "What does 'Within Reach' mean to you?".
- Find your judges now. Judging must be annonymous and by someone not affiliated with the school. If there are schools nearby who are also doing the Reflections program, consider sharing judges. Each school's entries will be judged separately, but the judge can be the same for multiple schools.
Filling out the Student Entry Form:
Hint - Fill out the school info section out BEFORE you make copies. (FYI PTA Leader name is the Unit/School Reflections chairman's name.)
Print up a few copies for each classroom or put copies in the school office, library, art room or computer lab.
- Leave the "Region PTA" line on the top of the entry form blank.
- The PTA ID number on the top of the entry form is your National PTA number. This number can be found on the front page of your PTA by-laws.
- Make sure to complete the Member dues paid, Insurance paid and bylaws approval date on the top of the entry form.
Students may choose one or all of the available arts categories:
National PTA Reflections welcomes all grades and abilities to explore and be involved in the arts. Annually, thousands of students will reflect on a common theme and create original works of art in the categories of dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts.
Join the search for a future theme by entering the annual Theme Search Contest for students.